Gun Hill Signal Station & Lion
Uphill from Parish Church on Fusilier Road, Newbury, St. George
Gun Hill, St. George
These stations sighted ships approaching Barbados and signaled to each other in warning of the approaching vessel. To facilitate communication in the days before telephones, signal station sites were chosen for their long, clear views of other hilltop stations. Like the others, Gun Hill therefore commands a panoramic view of the landscape below. Built in 1818, it has been restored by the Barbados National Trust and houses a collection of military memorabilia.
Internal security was the overarching purpose of the stations. They not only provided a way of communicating in emergencies, but were also used as rallying points in the event of civil disorder.
Climb the tower; have a picnic in the pavilion; take photos. Downhill, visit the white lion carved from stone. Up the road is St. George’s church and a little farther is Orchid World.